Monday, May 24, 2010

Brief Sadness at the Little League Game

Running this photo made me kind of nervous. It ran in today's Las Vegas Sun, part of our new weekly photo page. I thought Peter's mother would get mad at me for showing a photo of her son crying. But, I thought, she WAS standing right next to me while I was taking the photo, and the whole situation was way too cute not to share. She hasn't yet contacted me about the photo, which I take as a good sign. I hope they keep this clipping for years to come, and show it to Peter when he's older.



Here's what I wrote to accompany the photo page:

Wednesday night's baseball game was going well for the Angels. Then, near the end of the game, the tears started. Peter Fisichella walked into the dugout crying. He had struck out. Catcher Austin Price rushed over to console his teammate.

"It's OK, Peter don't worry. You'll get it next time."

He leaned in, his hand softly patting Peter's back.

"Hey Peter, don't cry. We can practice together in my backyard."

The tears stopped and the Angels went on to win the game against the Mets, 7-0. They advanced to the next round of postseason tournament play in Henderson Little League's rookie division for ages 6-8. The spring-season tournament, and the high drama, will play out through May.

No comments:

Post a Comment